Pat Duffy Teaching and Coaching Scholarship
Part-time Research Masters in the University of Limerick
An opportunity for Physical Education teachers and coaches to engage in research:
- Want to help create links between schools and universities, develop curriculum etc?
- Want to engage in applied research related to coaching practice and development?
- Want to further your own knowledge?
- Want to get involved in action research?
The Physical Education and Sport Sciences Department (PESS) in the University of Limerick is offering an opportunity for a Physical Education teacher and/or a coach to engage in a 2 year part-time Research Masters. The PESS Dept. will contribute €3000 per year over the 2 years towards the fees.
Possible areas of interest (not limited to) may include the following:
‘Irish school physical education – capturing teachers’ and students’ experiences of curriculum developments in physical education’ (Ann MacPhail)
Pedagogy of digital technology – exploring the role of digital technology and social media to enable teaching and learning in physical education and physical education teacher education (Antonio Calderon)
Essential Applicant Criteria
- BSc/BEd in Physical Education or cognate discipline
- Currently teaching Physical Education in a Post Primary School and/or an active coach
Submit the following as part of the application process:
- Letter of interest,
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Completed copy of the application form (see below)
- Two academic/professional references to email@example.com by 6th March 2020.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
Personal Statement (40 %)
- This should include information on the following points:
- Why do you wish to pursue a research degree?
- Why are you particularly suited for your proposed research field?
- What skills do you have that would prepare you for research work?
- How do you see your career unfolding after you have completed your postgraduate degree?
- Provide any further information which you might feel captures your abilities, success and potential for postgraduate research.
Research Outline (50%)
- The quality of the proposal and relevance of the research topic and its alignment with the PESS research themes. Use the PESS departmental web pages to identify potential research supervisors and research programmes that suit your skills and expertise. You must contact potential supervisors in advance of your application to discuss supervision/project. Some examples are provided in the information sheet providing details of the scholarship.
- Describe the background to the proposed research area (you may wish to provide references to suitable literature here).
- Clearly outline the main aims of your proposed research.
- Describe the main research methodology which you will apply to address your research aims.
Academic/Professional references (10%)
- These should include at least one reference from an academic at the institution where you have completed your most recent degree.
For any enquiries relating to the application process, please contact the PESS Executive Administrator Maeve Gleeson firstname.lastname@example.org